Apostasy has taken over the church and Christians today.
What is apostasy?
Apostasy is the departure from believe and great faith in Jesus Christ; fall away from the truth.
Therefore, an apostate person is someone who once believed, had great faith and then rejected God truth.
Apostasy is a rebellion against God because it is a rebellion against truth.
Types of Apostasy
Apostasy includes two types;
- Those who have knowingly turned completely from Jesus Christ and no longer even pretend to be Christians; and
- Those who still claim to be Christians but have departed from the faith (the great faith).
The latter (2) can be divided in to several areas;
- Those Christians who have taken the world and mixed it with the church resulting to weak (little) or no faith in Jesus Christ. See the article; the three main levels of faith
- Those who have deliberately twisted the scriptures perverting the word of God to fit their circumstances and pursue what they want to. This include the Christians, the teachers, the pastors and all men of God who are searching for share of power, fame and money; scoffers preaching what people want to hear so not to offend any one.
- The naive, who are genuinely deceived by false men of Satan dressed in sheep clothes.
Paul was dealing much on the apostasy in the early church; the correction of false doctrine and practice that was already in the early church in the days of the apostles.
Apostasy End Time sign
When Jesus was asked by His disciples, ‘What shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world (Mt 24:3)‘. The first words were apostasy.
In His response, He emphasized religious deception three times and He specified what it would involve:
Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. (Mt 24:4-5, 11, 24)
Jude puts it straight and clear.
The first reason we must ‘earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered to the saints‘ was the fact that ‘there are certain men crept in [inside the church] unawares ungodly men turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.’ (Jude 1:3-4)
These ungodly men are inside the church today, perverting and twisting each and every doctrine of Christianity and deceiving many. We have to be careful and expose them so that our faith and the faith of others might not be swayed.
If there is indeed an apostasy occurring in the Christian Church, we would not know it unless we first examined the Bible (the truth) and then compared the Church to the Word of God. It is only after truth is established that we would have a measuring rod by which apostasy can be detected.