There are 6 differences between God laws and Mosaic Law.
If a person fails to differentiate these laws, s/he gets confused with which part of the law applies to him/her.
God laws are the Ten Commandments found in Exodus 20 while Mosaic Law are all other Old Testament laws found in the Torah or Pentateuch books (first five books of the bible).
6 Differences between God laws and Mosaic Law
The 6 differences are; –
- God laws were audibly spoken by God at Mount Sinai Ex 19:9, 20:1 And the LORD said to Moses, Lo, I come to you in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with you, and believe you for ever. And God spoke all these words, saying… While Moses laws were not given audibly but given to Moses privately.
- God laws were directly written by the figure of God on table stones Ex 31:18: And he gave to Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God, while the Law of Moses was not written by God but by Moses inspired by God Deut 31:9 And Moses wrote this law.
- It is God who commanded His laws in Mount. Sinai Deut 4:13-14: And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone. And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach you statutes and judgments, that you might do them in the land which you go over to possess it. While Moses commanded his laws (the statutes and judgments) to the children of Israel. Notice the two different commanders of the two laws.
- The law of God was preserved uniquely inside the ark of covenant Ex 25:16: And you shall put into the ark the testimony which I shall give you, while the Law of Moses was place on the side of the ark Deut 31:24-26: And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished, that Moses commanded the Levites, which bear the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying, take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against you.
- 2Ki 21:8: Neither will I make the feet of Israel move any more out of the land which I gave their fathers; only if they will observe to do according to all that I have commanded them, and according to all the law that my servant Moses commanded them. From this verse we see also that there are two different laws. God uses the words ‘I have commanded them’ meaning the Ten Commandments while ‘The laws that my servant Moses commanded them’ meaning the laws of Moses.
- Daniel revealed this difference between these laws. Dan 9:11: Yea, all Israel have transgressed your law, even by departing, that they might not obey you voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him. ‘Your law’ referring to God laws; the Ten Commandments while ‘the law of Moses’ referring to the Mosaic Law.
A Christian has to differentiate these two laws because God’s law (the Ten Commandments) applies to all people at all times while the Law of Moses is specifically for the Jewish people.
This are the 6 differences between God laws and Mosaic Law